Roulette is one of the easiest, most popular, and fastest games of chance you can learn. The popularity of roulette is due to how easy and fast-paced it is. In fact, a match only takes a few seconds. The fast pace of the game offers a lot of adrenaline, and it makes roulette one of the most exciting games offered by casinos.
Nowadays, roulette can be played in both normal and online casinos. Therefore, it is a game that is accessible anywhere and at any time – like all other online casino games. Like many other games, you can try free roulette or demo versions where you don’t have to play with real money. Instead, you can practice a bit without placing bets with money from your own pocket.
Roulette is a game that is based solely on luck, and strategies do not play a major role in changing the course of the game. On the other hand, strategies can be used for other things, like betting. Below, we will take a look at how roulette works, what the rules are, how to bet, and much more.
The History of Roulette
Roulette is known all over the world, but what many people don’t know is that it dates back to the 18th century in France. In fact, the French word “roulette” means “little wheel”. Over time, roulette spread to Europe, America, and other places. Today, it is one of the most popular games of chance found in both online casinos and land-based casinos all around the world.
How To Play Roulette
Playing roulette is very easy, and it’s done very quickly. If you don’t know what roulette is, or how to play it, don’t fret. It’s actually very simple. All you have to do is wait for the person in charge of the roulette (dealer) to throw a ball into a wheel (roulette). Then, you have to guess where the ball will land. The possible places in which the ball can land are denoted by numbers and sections on a separate board. On this board, you must place a bet on the number or colour on which you think the ball will land. And that’s it! That’s how roulette is played.
If you want to start playing online roulette, you must first choose a suitable casino to play at. Casino Cupid has a list of licensed (authorized) casinos from where you can choose the casino that gives you the best opportunities (games, bonuses, etc.). Once you have chosen the casino that best fits your preferences, the game can begin!
In order to play a game of roulette, all that is needed is a roulette table or backboard (for betting), the roulette wheel, and a ball. This is how you play the game online:
- The first step is to make a deposit or put a limit on the amount that you can bet. You should know that in order to play online roulette or any other casino game, you must create a profile and then deposit money.
- Choose which numbers, colours, or quadrants you want to bet on, and then place your bet on the board with all the different numbers and colours.
- Wait for the dealer to release the roulette ball, and watch where it lands! If you choose the correct roulette number or colour. You have won! If the result ends up being something other than what you’ve bet on, you can try again.
Roulette is a very fast-paced game. In fact, a single game only lasts a few seconds. Therefore, you can go through multiple rounds in a short amount of time. Go and have a try!
Roulette in Online Casinos
Due to the popularity of roulette, it is generally found in all types of casinos – land-based and online. There are multiple online casinos that offer the possibility of playing online roulette.
Online roulette is a serious competitor against the traditional game of roulette for a number of different reasons. First of all, online roulette is much more accessible than the roulette games that are played at land-based casinos. You can play it anywhere and at any time – if you have a smart device or laptop near you. Furthermore, it is also realistic since it, in addition to automated games where you play against the computer, can be played live as well. Video streaming roulette is often streamed from a real studio where the game isn’t controlled by a computer but by a real dealer. This type of roulette is called live roulette. It’s much more realistic than typical online roulette as there are other players who are participating, and it also gives sight into a more glamorous casino experience. As long as you have a smart device with an internet connection, you’re ready to go! Learn more about live casino games here.
If you feel a bit overwhelmed with all of this information, remember that Casino Cupid provides a list of different online roulette casinos that you can check out. Compare the different casinos and find the one that suits you best.
Do you want to try roulette but aren’t ready to bet real money? At many online casinos, you can try roulette for free without having to bet any money. The free versions are ideal if you wish to know how the game works or wish to practice before betting real money.
Is It Safe To Play Online Roulette?
There are countless casinos on the internet – but not all of them are safe. Here at Casino Cupid, only licensed casinos are recommended. Therefore, you can be sure that personal and payment information is protected. That is to say, you will only see reliable providers of online casinos on Casino Cupid. You can feel safe and try your luck at whichever casino fits you best.
It is also recommended that you double-check whether the casino you have chosen is actually licensed or not. Although you will only see licensed casinos at Casino Cupid, we know that it isn’t the only way to arrive at an online casino’s webpage. Therefore, we always recommend that you, as a player, make sure that the individual casino you want to play at is actually licensed. That can often be done by going to the bottom of the casino’s webpage.
As we have already mentioned, roulette is a very simple game and takes almost no time to learn. The first basic rule, to keep in mind, is that roulette is a game of chance. Strategy can only be used in order to change the bets, not the course of the game.
Generally speaking, there are two ways to bet:
- Betting on whether the ball will stop on a red or a blacks square
- Betting on the number or groups of numbers on which the ball will land
If you make wise decisions, you will earn money! By this, I mean that the probability of winning is greater if you choose to bet on colour rather than a number. But of course, the amount to be won will be greater if you bet on numbers, as it is harder than betting on colours.
How Betting Works in Roulette
The bets (as well as the rules) in online casinos are exactly the same as in traditional casinos. In general, betting can be divided into two groups: outside and inside bets.
- Outside bets involve lower payouts and a higher number of bets. This means that the chances of winning are higher.
- Inside bets involve higher payouts but the chances of winning are lower.
OK... But what else do outside and inside bets entail? Well, let’s dive into it together!
Outside bets are placed on a group of numbers rather than on a specific number. The outside sections of the betting layout is reserved for what is known as outside bets. Some examples of outside bets are:
- Red vs. Black: This is a colour bet where the chances of winning are as high as possible. The payout is 1:1 which is relatively low.
- Even vs. Odd: Here you bet on the number being either odd or even.
- Columns: This involves betting on the numbers in the first column, second column, or third column (those that are vertical, from zero and down). The payout is 2:1.
- Dozens: This involves whether the result is in the first, second, or third dozen. The payout is 2:1.
- Pass-fault: On the betting boards you can find a part where you can bet on whether the ball will land on one of the numbers between 1-18 or on one of the numbers between 19-36.
Inside bets are more specific than outside bets, but the payouts are also higher. These are found in the inner section of the table, hence the name. Some examples of inside bets are:
- Single/Direct Number: You bet on a specific number on which you think the ball will land. The chances are slim but the payout is huge, 35:1.
- Two Split/Borderline Numbers: Considering that the betting board is an array of numbers, you might find some of them to be particularly interesting. In split bets, you bet on two numbers that intersect (are next to each other on the betting board). The chip you bet must be placed on the line that separates the two numbers so that the dealer is aware that you are doing a split-bet. The payout for two numbers is 17:1.
- Corner: Like the previous bet, you bet on numbers that touch /is placed next to one another. Here you bet on four numbers where the corners on the betting board (number matrix) touch one another. The chip with which you bet must be placed in the corner that involves those four numbers. Payout is 8:1.
- Line: With this bet, you bet on numbers from a specific row (read horizontally). The payout is 11:1.
- Top Line/Basket: Here you bet on the numbers of the first row. The payout for winning the first row Is 6:1.
- Two Line Bet/Double Street: In this bet, you bet on the numbers from two consecutive lines. The payout for two lines is 5:1.
- Trio: Here you bet on three numbers. You bet by placing your chip on the intersecting point of the triangle that forms either0, 1, and 2 or 0, 2, and 3.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Roulette
As with all games, pros and cons be listed – and roulette is no exception.
Advantages of Roulette
- Simple rules and very easy to remember
- The budget and bets are decided by you
- You can make many different bet combinations
- Online roulette is easily accessible
- At online casinos, you can keep your identity anonymous
- It is a game that involves adrenaline and speed
Disadvantages of Roulette
- You cannot influence the course of the game yourself, no matter how clever you are with numbers.
- The house edge is relatively large. The house edge stands for the average gross profit that the casino expects to make from each game.
- Risk of overbooking or two few seats per game
Can Strategy Be Used in Roulette?
As mentioned previously, roulette is a 100% game of chance. There is no way to influence the course of the game with strategies. However, it is possible to increase your chances of winning by choosing how much to bet and what to bet on. Let’s take a closer look at what’s at stake here!
This is one of the best-known strategies of roulette. It consists of doubling your bet every time you lose and keeping your original bet every time, you win. This means that the stakes will grow rapidly. In order to not lose control when using Martingale, it is recommended to set a fixed strategy for the use of the strategy beforehand.
This strategy uses the basic thought process linked to the regular Martingale strategy, but in the case of winning, all the winnings will be wagered along with the first bet. If you lose, you will have to start betting from the beginning. It is a risky strategy.
This strategy is based on the famous Fibonacci number sequence (0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, etc.). You should only use this strategy when betting on red/black, even/odd and numbers 1-18/19-36. With this strategy, whenever you lose a round, increase your bet by the last two numbers in the system and whenever you win, decrease the next wager by moving down two places.
When using Fibonacci, the bets don’t grow as fast as they do when using Martingale, but it’s still advisable that you set a limit for yourself in order to keep an eye on the bets.
James Bond, also known as 007, is a flat bet system where you bet the same amount of money (chips) on each spin. But the bet must be divided into 3 parts: the first must be 70%, the next 25% and the last 5%. For example, for a total bet of $20, the bet is broken down as follows:
- $14 for numbers 19-36 (chance to win $8)
- $5 for numbers 13-18 (chance to win $10)
- $1 for the (green) zero
If the result is a number between 1-12, the next time the bet is increased. It’s advisable that you set a limit on how much you can bet so that the bets won’t be getting too high because of the game.
With this particular strategy, you decide on the size of your bet and each time you win, you deduct that amount from your next bet. Every time you lose, you add that amount to the next bet. This strategy holds a high risk. Therefore, we recommend that you are careful and don’t bet more than you’re willing to lose.
When using this strategy, you decide how much money you want to win before playing, and write down a list of positive numbers that sum to the predetermined amount. With each bet, you stake an amount equal to the sum of the first and last number of your list. If only one number remains, that number is the amount that will be bet. If the bet is successful, the two amounts are removed from the list. If the bet is unsuccessful, the amount lost is appended to the end of the list. This process continues until your list is completely crossed out, at which point the desired amount of money has been won, or until the player runs out of money to wager. Here is an example:
You have chosen the following sequence: 1, 2, 3, 2, 2
The first bet is the sum of the first and last number in your sequence (1 + 2). If you win, you remove these numbers from the sequence, and then you bet with the next numbers in the sequence (2 + 2) the next time. If you lose, this bet is added to the end of the series so that they become part of a new bet.
In general, one strategy can’t be said to be better than others since the differences between the strategies are so big. If you are unsure of which strategy will fit you best, you can try the different strategies out and test which one you are most comfortable with. Similarly, you can take advantage of the free versions of online roulette (demo versions) and try out the different strategies without betting real money.
Special Roulette Versions
As with most games of chance, there have been created multiple different versions of roulette that have been made widely available to all kinds of users. These variations can be found at online casinos:
- French Roulette/Classic Roulette: It’s the most common version of roulette.
- European Roulette: It has a zero and is similar to French roulette, but the house edge is lower.
- American Roulette: here the house edge is greater since, in addition to the zero, there is also a double zero on the betting board. This means that the probability of keeping the ball in the fields marked with zeros is greater than in European roulette.
- Double Ball Roulette: This is a game of roulette with two balls instead of one. The rules are the same as in classic roulette, so the player has a better chance of winning when playing Double Ball roulette.
As you have seen, roulette may seem like a simple game, but its special versions and the possibility of using different betting strategies make roulette an extremely versatile game.
Be sure to check out the casinos that are listed here on Casino Cupid. Find your best place to play roulette! Spin and have fun!