Responsible Gambling and Betting
In order to play poker, Blackjack, roulette, or any other type of gambling game, whether it is online or in a traditional casino, there are certain things that you need to be aware of outside the rules of the games.
- RESPONSIBLE gambling is a top priority, as excessive gambling can lead to negative consequences on both your mental health and personal finances.
- Gambling and betting addiction can develop and be very difficult to controlif not treated with caution.
- In order to gamble, the player must always be of legal age. It is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to participate in gambling or betting.
- When gambling or betting, it is also important to keep in mind the budget you have. What can you really afford to invest in this activity? It is important to set boundaries and always be mindful of them.
How Do I Know If I’m Playing Responsibly?
A person who gambles responsibly is someone who knows his/her limits – both when it comes to the time spent gambling and the amount of money invested in these activities. If you can easily assert that gambling and betting is something you only do for fun, can stop playing at any time, and won’t invest more money or time than intended, you belong in the category of responsible gamblers.
What Signs Should I Look for to Know If I Have a Gambling Addiction?
It’s normal that when you first start betting and gambling, you feel adrenaline and excitement that makes you want to keep playing. In those moments, it is important to pay close attention to how you think and act during the game.
Most people who begin to develop a gambling addiction, tend to flatly deny it. There are a few ways in which you can test yourself in order to identify the relationship that you have with this form of entertainment (gambling and betting):
- You want to play casino games all day and it’s the only thing on your mind.
- The wagered amounts increase gradually and become the largest part of your expenses.
- You see the winnings from betting and gambling as an important source of income or perceive it as a method of generating income.
- You feel or hope that if you play for long enough, regardless of your losses, you will win a huge amount of money that will make it possible for you to no longer have to work.
- You talk about gambling, betting and online casinos 90% of the time.
- Your daily routine is affected (eating habits, works, commitments to others, etc.) by gambling.
- People close to you (family, friends, co-workers etc.) often try to shed light on your extreme attention towards gambling as: “I think you spend too much time gambling...”, “Don’t you think that you’ve gambled enough?”, or “You should do something else besides play”.
- You prefer to invest money that was intended for personal expenses (food, utilities, rent, etc.) in gambling and betting instead.
- Your social life is diminished or completely affected by gambling and betting, and you find it difficult to go out an socialize with other as you used to. And when you go out, you still think about gambling.
Gambling and betting is a form of entertainment, not a way of generating income, and certainly not a way of life. Playing responsibly means being able to set boundaries for yourself and sticking to them. These boundaries should not cause you any anxiety or confusion. Therefore, you must be clear about the boundaries and limits you set for yourself.
About the Responsible Gambling Council
The Responsible Gambling Council (RGC) is a respected, independent non-profit organization which ensures that gambling safeguards are in place. The organization has been a leader in the prevention of problem gambling in Canada (and globally) for more than 35 years. The Responsible Gambling Council used to be known as the Canadian Foundation on Compulsive Gambling (CFCG) before changing its name to the Responsible Gaming Council in 2001.
The Responsible Gambling Council develops various programs and projects for the prevention, education and psychological counseling of players with potential gambling problems or addiction. The organization offers help from gambling counsellors that can help navigate the world of gambling. Furthermore, the organization helps connect gamblers with addiction or problems to multiple treatment centers all around Canada. The Responsible Gambling Council also provides help for loved ones ad well as a multilingual support service for problem gambling.
The Responsible Gambling Council initiates and takes part in various activities where the aim is to:
- Prevent gambling addiction
- Promote a state of balance related to gambling
- Develop social responsibility programs on responsible gaming
- Stimulate a culture of prevention and pathological behavior
- Aid players struggling with addiction, as well as family members, through therapy and treatment centers
- Aid operators and regulators on the online casino market
The mission of the Responsible Gambling Council is to prevent problem gambling and reduce its impact. In order to achieve this, the organization is collaborating with all stakeholders, including operators, regulators, players, and family members. The organization aids operators and regulators by:
- Undergoing jurisdictional reviews and program development and support
- Providing advisory services and training for operators and their employees
- Providing accreditation for land-based or Internet gambling and establishing standards
- Bringing people together to advance best practices and promote dialogue
Furthermore, the organization helps both players and their families by:
- Building understanding and awareness of the risks associated with gambling and the strategies to reduce harm and prevent problem gambling
- Empowering those who choose to gamble to make informed decisions
- Helping to connect those affected by gambling problems and their loved ones to community support
You should not be afraid to seek support from a family member, a trusted person, or contact the Responsible Gambling Council for guidance and help. You can find more information on the help provided by the Responsible Gambling Council here: https://www.responsiblegambling.org/for-the-public/problem-gambling-help/help-for-canadians/
Play responsibly and take care of your mental health!